Central Neighborhood Demographics
Central Neighborhood History
The Central neighborhood was named for Central High School. The City’s first Central High – circa 1890 – was called Central Union High School and was located at 11th St and 3rd Ave S. It was destroyed by a fire in 1863. The Central High School the neighborhood took it’s name from was built in 1913 and torn down in the 1980s. It was located on 4th Ave S between 34th St and 35th St where Green Central Elementary stands today.
During World War II and after, the Central Neighborhood continued to attract African American families. Many African American churches and other important institutions serving the community began at this time and continue to this day.
The former business hub at 38th St and 4th Ave still houses The Minneapolis Spokesman Recorder (which began publishing in 1934 and moved to it’s new building in 1956) and the Minneapolis Urban League at 411 E 38th St. Sabathani Community Center has occupied the old Bryant Junior High school building since 1979.